Brief's key points
- Provide an illustration for use on the menu of a sophisticated, quality fish restaurant – one in a chain sited in major European cities.
- Any food depicted needs to be visually appetising.
- The image will need to be reasonable simple and clear.
- You need to provide an example reduced to 40mm x 40mm as it will initially be used
The creative process I went through to create the final piece for this exercise was quiet simple, however I feel it was appropriate for the type of exercise and I was still able to achieve a piece I'm happy with.
First I started to think about the type of food that's served in a fish restaurant. As I quickly decided I wanted to go with the main subject and illustrate a fish dish, then I thought about the different types of fish and the different presentations: a whole fish, a fillette, "fingers", etc. For the first part of the process I used my sketch-book (analog), but once I was happy with the idea I jumped into my Ipad and used Procreate for the sketching and painting of the final piece.
I decided that a fillet was much more sophisticated than a whole fish and that it would help me accomplish the requirement for it to be visually appealing. I went for salmon since it shows quality and it's very identificable (hard to be mistaken as a chicken or beef fillet).
After all the thinking, I searched for some references of salmon filettes and went on to sketching and coloring my illustration.
Finally I adapted it to the requeierd sized and created a mock-up to help exemplified the final result.
- Free mock-up: unblast.com/free-clipboard-menu-mockup-psd/
I'm Astrid Badell-Suhr, designer and illustrator, specialist in communication