Key points from the brief:
- A friend has asked you to design a tattoo for them based on the word Mum.
- He would also like you to make it into a greeting card
- Research the history and conventions of tattoos and body art
- Decide on how complex your design will be and whether you will be using colour. Draw up your design on a large scale, mindful that it will be smaller both on a body and the card.
- Write up your decision making process in your learning log
The creative process
I started doing some research about the history of tattoos as well as trends for 2020, I read a couple of interesting articles and also went through Pinterest to do more of a visual research of possible trends.
After the research and trying to incorporate my own vision as illustrator and designer, I decided to go for a minimalistic tattoo. I liked the idea of one continious line and something that wasn't very literal but more abstract. I started barimstorming around the world "mom" and the sketching out some first ideas. The one that really stucked with me was "hug", almost a synonimous of the word mom, specially in the first years of your life.
Final tattoo design
I'm Astrid Badell-Suhr, designer and illustrator, specialist in communication